Welcome To Animecrave Sign In or Create Free Account
SPONSORS

Zero no Tsukaima

Curious as to what Animes are being released soon? dubbed soon? or even about new Anime titles gaining popularity fast? Learn all the Anime News possible here as far as release dates and Animes currently being worked on and dubbed.

Moderator: Greg

Zero no Tsukaima

Postby Curt » October 3rd, 2006, 3:42 pm

Introduction.
Harry Pott...eh? Sorry about that. Yes, it's quite obvious from the moment one lays eyes on Zero no Tsukaima that the setting for the show was blatantly pulled from the best-selling Harry Potter series. I kid thee not. All we need to complete the package is Quidditch (that game on brooms). But, in it's defense, the setting and magic is about all the show pulled from Potter. It's a comedy/harem/romance anime in every way.

Harry Potter was decent, and so were the movies. So, is this? Well, when the anime started all bright and colourful, I was instantly interested, at least to find out what the story is about. First thought was, "Okay, Louise looks HOT, so that's a start."

Louise Francoise le Bran de la Valiel...I think.

The opening sequence was Love Hina-esque, with all the characters and their names shown one by one. I wonder why they do that? Episode one introduces many of the cast, Louise the 'Zero', known as such due to her inability to cast any spell correctly, Kirche, the obligatory hot chick in these anime, Guiche, the stuck up noble, Montmorency and a few more. Well, for an anime with a whole school of aspiring wizards, credit has to be given to the creators for coming up with characters that, while typical, are diverse enough to avoid being boring.

Sealed with a kiss! (First episode, thats pretty amazing)

Pamela Anderson at Hogwarts.

Hiraga Saito is Louise's 'tsukaima', or familiar. Not that he wanted to be. You see, in animes, no matter what dimension you're in, or what time period, Japan is always lying around somewhere. Just like how aliens, vampires, ghosts, and the day after tomorrow only happen in the United States of America. ^^ So, it's no surprise that Louise screwed up her summoning ritual and calls forth the great Saito. Who is the typical normal guy which every girl has the hots for. Saito has quite the Backbone as you will continue to see throughout the series(He's not your typical Harem Loser), although he does get 'dog' treatment from Louise. After all, he had the guts to go after Siesta in episode 4, when she was taken away by a noble. Saito is 'different' from other familiars, due to the special runic inscription on his hand; which you will see throughout this series entirety.

Weakling proves not so weak.

"You taste like garlic."

Story:
Excellent, with magic, comedy and romance put together, the story begins with Zero no Louise and her familiar Saito, 2 people from different worlds coming together, Louise's magic element is likely to be Void, the most powerful of all elements but she hasn't discovered it yet, resulting in explosions everytime she cast a spell. Her summoned familiar, Saito, acquires swordplay ability and with the legendary 'Gandalf' rune, his power in wielding a sword multiplies. He is also bounded to protect Louise forever, by their contract as master and servant in the beginning but will it become love? Time will tell.

Characters
My favourite character would be Louise, her voice actress is Rie Kugimiya, who also voiced Shana in "Shakugan no Shana" and Alphonse Elric in "Full Metal Alchemist" . Her actions, demeanour and her manner of speech are adorable.

Hiraga Saito, voiced by Satoshi Hino, who also voiced Sakai Yuuji in is back with Rie Kugimiya and with their outstanding performances it is possibly enough to even outmatch Shakugan no Shana.

Artwork
Beautifully drawn, the artwork in the anime is somewhat cuter than the ones used in the novel of the same name.

Music
The opening song "First kiss" by ICHIKO, is nice but the ending is the real deal, it is actually sung by Rie Kugimiya! In "The real feeling" she sang in the voice of Louise which coincidently is also Shana's voice, it is way beyond mellifluous, it's perfect and brings out the character Louise Francoise le Bran de la Valiel's personality.

Closing
The plot is unique, the characters are colorfull, the settings are memorable, and the artwork is amazing.

The series are the perfect "How to do" example of a funny/drama fantasy style anime. The characters are full of life and emotions, some of charaters hide those emotions, some express them: all of that makes them more belivable then many other characters in anime. The landscapes are very well done, although throughout the series the green color dominates the settings.

Overall, the anime is a must-see for anyone.

Verdict- 8.5/10(If you love Tsundere character's then add another point; if the plot and premise do not interest you and/or think they have been used to an unparallel height, then subtract a point.
Last edited by Curt on October 5th, 2006, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curt
Knight

Postby Susu06 » October 4th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Looks good, how many episode is it?
Susu06
Legendary Master

Postby Curt » October 4th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Thirteen episodes.. Judgeing by the end of the series, i'de say there is going to be a sequel.
Curt
Knight

Postby Sahar » October 4th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Wow haha cool, it's based on Harry Potter =P
I'm going to watch it ^_^
Sahar
Legendary Knight

Postby Curt » October 4th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Sahar wrote:Wow haha cool, it's based on Harry Potter =P
I'm going to watch it ^_^

Thats not what i said, lol... Its premise has the same Idea as Harry Potter. Magic, School that teaches Magic to young aspiring Magicians^_^, etc... The story itself is completely different.
Curt
Knight

Postby Sahar » October 4th, 2006, 10:51 pm

well yeah that's what I thought, I guess I didn't word it properly =P
but it has alot similar to HP like you said so it'd be interesting watching it in anime, and a new plot, something different than the usual book-after-book struggles =P
Sahar
Legendary Knight

Postby Crim » October 5th, 2006, 10:13 am

it has nothing to do with harry potter, its just tyhe premise of a magic school is the same and the headmaster is someone who looks like dumbledore (even if he is a pervert) but the plot isnt anything to do with Harry Potter. Although Curt i have to say the premise of some teenager being forced into "slavery" basically isnt exactly a good thing. BUT despite this amongst other things I LOVE THE SERIES!!!! the beginning got me laughnig and from tehn on i loved it =D
Crim
Master Guardian

Postby Curt » October 5th, 2006, 10:23 am

Crim wrote:it has nothing to do with harry potter, its just tyhe premise of a magic school is the same and the headmaster is someone who looks like dumbledore (even if he is a pervert) but the plot isnt anything to do with Harry Potter. Although Curt i have to say the premise of some teenager being forced into "slavery" basically isnt exactly a good thing. BUT despite this amongst other things I LOVE THE SERIES!!!! the beginning got me laughnig and from tehn on i loved it =D

How right you are, though thats just what I explained in my previous post. Premise is the same, everything else has a completely different turn of events.

Not sure whether you mean, you would not like to be Saito due to the fact that he once was an ordinary citizen, which then is transformed into a stuck-up, but Cute girl's Familiar.(Personally, I'de be her familiar, lol.. If you dont like the girl "Though I Did", You still aquire Uber powers), or whether you did not like the concept to that theme.
Last edited by Curt on October 5th, 2006, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curt
Knight

Postby Crim » October 5th, 2006, 10:38 am

i just think about things like that too much, wrenched from his family and the world he knew and turned into a slave. if you think about it its pretty screwed up no matter how many ribbons you tie too it
Crim
Master Guardian

Postby Curt » October 5th, 2006, 10:59 am

hm, i guess.... A Place with a Cute Loli, not to mention Awesome powers to boast, is no different from Paradise, meh screw my old Life.. hello Magical world with loli's, lol.. Ahwell, hes a lucky bastard :( *Hates Self*
Curt
Knight

Postby Crim » October 5th, 2006, 11:24 am

and what of his family, hmm?
Crim
Master Guardian

Postby Curt » October 5th, 2006, 11:32 am

You have to give, in order to receive.. Its a loss, but all things come with a price.. Aside from that, he's not thirteen or anything, few years he'de prolly have moved out regardless. Starting Anew with Adventure sounds pretty damn great to me; better then the boring tedium of everyday life.
Curt
Knight

Postby Aedrius » October 30th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I liked this series very much, a little sad that it was only 13 episodes though...There's room for a second season, so I hope that one comes through, that would be great.
Aedrius
Level 1 Apprentice

Postby Crim » October 30th, 2006, 5:59 pm

hey Kill, still hooked on that song i sent you?
Crim
Master Guardian

Postby Curt » October 30th, 2006, 6:11 pm

You know it 8) Rie Kugimiya is a Goddess among Va's :twisted: Btw, a second season is Highly Probable, based on the fact that the Manga is still running strong.
Curt
Knight

Next

Return to Anime News