Welcome To Animecrave Sign In or Create Free Account
SPONSORS

Tales of Phantasia

Curious as to what Animes are being released soon? dubbed soon? or even about new Anime titles gaining popularity fast? Learn all the Anime News possible here as far as release dates and Animes currently being worked on and dubbed.

Moderator: Greg

Tales of Phantasia

Postby Curt » September 18th, 2006, 4:51 am

They only recorded one line for Cless...
.. So they decided to milk it as much as possible.

ToP has a fantastic level of animation, a soundtrack that usually fits, and a plotline that mostly makes sense. I say mostly because even discounting my prior research into the Tales of storylines, there’s only a bit of disjointedness that comes from them clipping and rearranging the storyline to fit into an OVA format. Most of it’s a necessary evil I suppose, and what happens is that the OVA becomes much more about interactions between characters than the actual storyline. Character designs are pretty memorable as well. Again, Tales of Phantasia draws from the archetypes of characters that populate RPGdom. Warriors, clerics, mages, summoners, archers, and all the sub-types of those main types.

Arche Klaine stood out the most to me as the best character. Maybe it was the pink hair, maybe it was the bright personality, maybe it was the pure and utter destruction at her fingertips, or maybe a combination of the three. (Can you tell what kind of girls I like?) ^_^ In any case, Arche Klaine the half-elf mage was pure ownage, and possibly the best character in the OVA, even though the so-called villain, Dhaos comes in a close second with Kudos for being a dark, but sympathetic anti-hero.

Surprisingly the anime deals with these kinds of problems of blurred morality and prejudice in a way that doesnt take over the anime but at the same time has a great impact when you think about it at the end. In this case, the "heroes" are attacking the "villain" for launching a world war to stop the hero's side from committing a planetary-scale genocide. At the same time the "villain" has approached the protagonist's side several times before instigating the war to try and stop them from committing said planet-cide peacefully but is always driven away from the fear and discrimination they feel for someone different from them.

Even within the "good" side there is discrimination, Arche has to deal with racial discrimination from both sides of her heritage, one for being half elf and one for being half human, and Dhaos's armies are made up of basically an unsegregated collection of the outcast and "different" species of the planet. And more surprisingly on several occasions Dhaos the supposed villain was either in the process of helping the heroes (healing the world tree for example) or just trying to talk to them when he's just completely and rudely interrupted by some intrepid member of the heroic team (usually Cless) misunderstanding or just being plain blockheaded and trying to kill him. You just cant really blame him for being a bit miffed and disillusioned at these heroically self-righteous zealots (Cless I'm looking at you).

The entire premise of the protagonists' crusade against Dhaos is based on flimsy logic. Said protagonists get set on their quest to kill Dhaos because some evil human (not even a Dhaos-type Angel) killed their parents in order to free Dhaos, who had been sealed away several years prior, and claim his power (typical human greed). Naturally its a completely bogus misinterpretation of his abilities (why on earth someone so powerful would "give" his power to someone who freed him is simply bad logic too). And so Dhaos gets free and everyone starts trying to kill him, but is that Dhaos's fault? No it was that blockhead evil dude who got vaporized when he opened Dhaos's tomb. Essentially they're blaming him for just existing. But hey, its a plotline right? And so the journey begins..

"Mmm.. Fresh adventurer meat."
"Oh? Had enough eh? Chicken! Chicken!"

The warrior chump Cless, was your typical brainchild of a rock. If you gave him a target, he’d try to kill it, usually while screaming "DHAAAAAAOOOOSSSS" at the top of his lungs. Did I mention blockhead? Mint, as the resident cleric and love interest of said warrior chump, is pretty much your standard nurse character. She is softspoken, attractive, dressed in white with large crosses adorning her costume, and carrying a stave.
"DHAAAAAOSSSSSS!!!!!!"
"Hai? Irashaimasen!"

"I'm so manly! Not a mark on me, look at me pose!"
"Attack the hyooomaaaahnnnns!!!! Wheeeee-gack!"

Then there's a generic archer class character/love interest for Arche. And then there was a fairly interesting summoner named Klarth who had a similarly great personality. He's wonderfully sardonic and confident in his abilities while still maintaining an inner brooding that doesnt come out until later. In a fascinating twist, the best characters of the series are actually summoned from the past 100 years before the birth of Cless and Mint to come help them. Since Arche's a half elf she'd be middle aged after a 100 years, which brings in this kind of really weird romance subplot where she meets the archer character when she's young and 100 years too early, gets ported back in time, ages 100 years, and gets back with the archer character in his own time. Somewhere in there I think there was an ornately drawn summoning circle. Maybe several.
Hey! Soldier! Behold my pretty summoning circle of arcane leetness."
"Now go and explode yourself plzkthnx."

"Mint! Stop romancing the tree!"
"And here is the master bedroom, you'll see a majestic four-post bed, glowing bright green. Great for mood lighting."

But back to Cless. Watching Cless was like watching an epiphany of the primal nature of RPGs. In this, I mean, that heroism is actually villainy. Or, to put it more plainly, Heroes are psychopathic massmurderers and Villains generally harmless. Let us consider the evidence at hand of the steps through an rpg.

"I, Klarth, am the greatest! Bow before your god!"
We seem to be on the precipice... of adventure!"

Step 1: In nearly all rpgs, you begin with a weakling hero (level 1). Usually, there is some pretense of how the villain hath wronged you, or the world in general by doing some mad bid for hegemony. Almost never do you start out with a blank slate and make your own enemies.

Step 2: You are joined by a close friend or mentor. Sometimes there are love interests, depending on the gender mixture of the characters. The villain sends his best henchmen against you, who are defeated... at lvl5.

"Mint trying out her Nintendo D-pad-wear"
"Hey Cless, you're pretty cute, how bout you ditch that Mint and hook up with me?"
"Let us summo-er... pray.. yes.. pray for aid"
"ZZZzzzzzzzz"

Step 3: Systematically, you must improve yourself, not through hard work and training in a school or with a teacher. No, you must improve yourself by systematically exterminating entire populations of wild animals and those who live outside of small towns and cities, ie. so-called Barbarians.

Step 4: Gather more impressionable young companions to join you in your crusade to annihilate the local wildlife. <insert requisite romance storyline here> Usually these young companions, if female, wear alluring and all together impractical clothing for woodscraft. More henchmen appear, and are handily defeated. Ravenous monsters the likes of which you have never seen and could single handedly lay waste to your home town sit in their caves waiting for you to come give them the beat down, you know.. after you've leveled up a bit.

"I am 100 years too early to date you!"
"Heroic pose facing into the wind!"
"You must take the ring to Mount Doom..."
"You have my bow! Oh.. you dont need it? Oh.. ok."

Step 5: Attack the stronghold of the villain. <insert multiple puzzles a 5 year old could solve here, usually involving timeconsuming pushing of stone blocks> The villain, usually attempts to make peace with these complete strangers who have barged into his home, but fails through no fault of his own, and decides to expeditiously exit stage right. <insert more romance subplot here.>

Step 6: Continue tracking the villain through thick and thin until finally, harried and exhausted, the villain is taken down within his inner sanctum, never having actually done anything really all that terrible to the world. All thanks to your efforts right? Psh. In reality, the villain has failed because he was maligned and falsely accused of being a despot and a threat. Whilst you in your guise as a hero traveled the world, committing petty theft (breaking and entering NPC homes and taking their stuff, don’t pretend you haven’t), muggings(pickpocketing), murder(for exp and phat lewts of course), and in general being a mercenary (come on, where do those townspeople get off? Offering bounties for you to eliminate their competitors, sheesh) villains generally sat in his citadel, brooding, planning, sending out his completely incompetent minions to do his bidding but never actually accomplishing anything. Who then was the greater evil and who’s the greater good? Cless the boneheaded hero, or Dhaos the misunderstood villain for a more sensitive age? I offer up another villain, the village people who sent you on this misbegotten mission of vengeance for their economic and financial benefit. Look at their happy faces hiding those shifty, shifty eyes.

"Never underestimate the power of cheese"
"One better than twincest."
"Hah old guy at the beginning, my summon circle is more ornate than yours!"
"The end.."

So in hindsight, Tales of Phantasia was great, and I'm definitely keeping it, I recommend that you watch it too! And play the games.

And I'd join the so-called Villains like Dhaos who fight the good fight against discrimination, they are the only answer to the world's problems.

Verdict:8.0/10(Rpg-ish theme at its very best)
Last edited by Curt on September 19th, 2006, 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curt
Knight

Postby Jenna » September 19th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Curt, when will this series be dubbed? It looks really good Im definitly gonna wanna do it when it is =). So if you could let me know I'd appriciate it!
Jenna
Knight

Postby Curt » September 19th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Jenna wrote:Curt, when will this series be dubbed? It looks really good Im definitly gonna wanna do it when it is =). So if you could let me know I'd appriciate it!

Galaxy Anime reports that sources inside Geneon have confirmed to them that Geneon will be releasing the Tales of Phantasia OAV in North America shortly. Though s representative of Geneon was not available to comment at this time. Sadly, this was announced Several Months ago. It has been licensed thus far, but has yet to be dubbed.
Curt
Knight

Postby XgCell » March 13th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Wow. I played the game on Super Nintendo, but I didn't know it was an Anime show. Now I wanna see it!

XgCell
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Curt » March 13th, 2007, 10:24 pm

XgCell wrote:Wow. I played the game on Super Nintendo, but I didn't know it was an Anime show. Now I wanna see it!

It was uploaded to this site not too long ago. So go watch it to your hearts content. :P

P.S. its an OVA, so it will be in that part of the multimedia section.
Curt
Knight

Postby XgCell » March 14th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Ohhhh. And all this time I figured OVA's were just like previews of the Anime series. Thanks for the info curt!

XgCell
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Kaze-Yaida » May 3rd, 2007, 4:55 pm

*gasp* this shows in english, AWSOME

the game was great im lookignf orward to the anime

now if onyl tales of symphonia was an anime...
Kaze-Yaida
Fresh Meat

Postby Curt » May 3rd, 2007, 5:08 pm

Kaze-Yaida wrote:*gasp* this shows in english, AWSOME

If you did not already know-- Tales of Phantasia is currently on this site. As for Tales of Symphonia, it's actually going to have an anime adaptation June of this year. Click Here for further ToS info
Curt
Knight

Postby CagalliAthrun » October 10th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Kaze-Yaida wrote:*gasp* this shows in english, AWSOME

omg yeah seriously the game was awesome same with Tales of Symphonia. I heard tho that Tales of Symphonia is an anime but not in english yet, but i could be wrong.
CagalliAthrun
Fresh Meat

Postby yueookami » October 10th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Can someone help me post an avatar?
I cant figure out how to do it.
yueookami

Postby Curt » October 10th, 2007, 6:27 pm

This is the news section of the forums you know. Not where you ask for help regarding a avatar.

...anyways, click Control Panel > Change my Buddy Icon > Paste the URL into the Icon URL box > Make sure avatar is no larger then 100x100 > Click the "Change My Icon" tab.
Curt
Knight

Postby yueookami » October 11th, 2007, 9:48 am

Ok. Thank you. ^.^
yueookami

Return to Anime News