Welcome To Animecrave Sign In or Create Free Account
SPONSORS

Saikano

Curious as to what Animes are being released soon? dubbed soon? or even about new Anime titles gaining popularity fast? Learn all the Anime News possible here as far as release dates and Animes currently being worked on and dubbed.

Moderator: Greg

Saikano

Postby Curt » June 11th, 2006, 1:05 pm

When I first started this series, I really didn't know what to expect of it. I'd heard it was a very emotional series, that it'll mess with you in ways that no other anime can. Then again, every mindjob-anime series out there has its own way of messing with you. But Saikano reached me on a very personal level.

The characters were very deep and well-developed, ones you could truly relate to. In fact, that's the beauty of this series: Saikano is one of the most far-fetched romance stories in all of anime, yet offers one of the most realistic couples ever. In typical shonen anime, it would be perfectly normal for a girl to sprout metal wings and a gun-arm, and go off killing things.

However, Saikano is not shonen anime. Much like Eva, Lain, Haibane Renmei, and other such thought-provoking series, Saikano keeps things very down-to-earth, considering the setting of the series. Chise, a young girl engineered to be the "ultimate weapon" of war, is torn between two lives. She wants to be a normal girl, in love with her boyfriend Shuji, yet she slowly develops a weapon's instinct, with a physical NEED to kill.

Shuji, meanwhile, does his best to make Chise feel normal. He would take her on dates, meet up at places, as though everything is normal. Later on, though, he has difficulty adapting to the harsh reality: that Chise is a weapon, and one to be feared, at that.

So, much like Eva or Lain, Saikano is very deep, and has very human characters, unlike the powerhouse characters of Trigun or Hellsing (great series, but we're talking normal-everyday-schoolgirl-becomes-ultimate-weapon here). As expected, this situation creates much emotional stress, for both characters, as they desperately try to maintain a relationship that's not meant to be. Like real people, they make mistakes, but resolve their problems like any couple.

I'll get to my point here.. Saikano is not for the emotionally weak. It will make you cry at least once if you have a soul. Don't expect everyone to live happily ever after; I can't stress that enough. ^^;

As the series progresses, Chise and Shuji develop much more in their own ways, and the climactic finale is one of the best endings I've seen since Cowboy Bebop. It's truly brilliant and very much worth sticking around for.

I really can't find anything bad to say about this series. ^^;; The emotional drama and very short war/battle scenes may wear the powergame otaku's attention thin, but if you have respect for mindjob and/or emotionally-powerful anime, you will not get bored with Saikano. And the ending puts enough of a twist on the series to make you want to watch it all again.

8.0/10
Curt
Knight

Postby 06blackmazda3 » March 1st, 2007, 10:50 am

Ya like i was saying that kinda different.
06blackmazda3
Fresh Meat

Postby FullmetalLover » March 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm

It sounds like a good show I like shows with well developed characters.
FullmetalLover
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Anime News